Thursday, February 7, 2013

Did you insulate your plumbing?

So, after talking to our PM, we found that they won't do the extra insulation for us at this point because we're too late in the process.  I'm relatively handy, but I've never done this before.  If you have insulated the plumbing in your home, can you please let me know how you did it.  I plan on going in this weekend for a few hours to work on it.  My current plan is to simply wrap bats of insulation fully around the pipes from the upstairs toilets and showers that run through the family room and kitchen, as this seems like the only spots that would really bother us.  I plan on wrapping fully around the pipe and just securing with either large zip ties or just clear packing tape, as the dry wall will really hold it in place.  Any ideas, thoughts?  Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. We did not insulate our plumbing. I can hear water running if the boyfriend flushes the toilet or if he's showering in the master bathroom and I'm in the family room, but it's not crazy loud. It's definitely quieter than the apartment we just moved out of.

    I wonder how insulation around the pipes will affect things in the event of a leak... like how much of a mess would it make to have to rip out wet insulation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also really interested to hear about this, and see about anyones success story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're going through that, you might as well insulate those exterior garage walls. PM talked me out of it and it could be one of the contributing factors to our ice box... I mean bonus room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Although, we don't have a room above the garage, so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

    I think I've come up with a brilliant plan, which is to use the egg crate foam around the pipes rather than insulation. This stuff is inexpensive and frequently used in home recording studios for noise reduction. Our PM thinks it will work well. Plus, I heard that using regular insulating bats doesn't work that well for sound proofing purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry
    I am interested in plumbing insulation thing, do let us know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After going back and forth with our PM and our home inspector, I've decided to use a product called Roxul, which is a stone bat, made for soundproofing purposes. I am going to apply that along the wall that divides the laundry room and family room, to keep the noise from the laundry room out of the family room. I'm then going to surround the plumbing that comes through the family room and kitchen, in areas other than that wall, with egg crate foam. I think that should give us a lot of soundproofing in those two rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take some picture when you're putting it together if you don't mind. I'd really like to see how you go about fixing things and how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete